Have you ever wondered how to start and build a podcast business?
This is Tom from the Small Scale Life Podcast, and even though I have been podcasting for five years, I am naturally curious how people start their online podcast business. My friend Mr. Tactical Jay and I had a chance to pick the brain of author and podcaster Glen Tate, and in this podcast episode, we are going to discuss How to Start and Build a Podcast Business with Glen Tate.
In case you don’t know who these esteemed guests are, let me introduce them to you.
- Glen Tate is a lawyer, the author of the 299 Days book series and co-host of the Prepping 2.0 Podcast and syndicated radio show.
- Tactical Jay is my good friend and frequent guest on the Small Scale Life Podcast. He hails from somewhere on the East Coast where he is involved in healthcare and a firefighter.
We recorded this podcast live on the Small Scale Life YouTube Channel on the day after the election. While this is part of a longer hour and a half Live Stream on the Small Scale Life YouTube Channel, I ran into some file size limitations with Fireside, which is my podcast hosting service. This was an interesting discussion, and given the interest that some folks that I have been talking to lately, I figured this would be a timely discussion.
You can find the first part of our conversation with Glen Tate and Shelby Gallagher titled “How to Become a Gray Man or Woman” on smallscalelife.com, the Small Scale Life YouTube Channel and podcast apps everywhere! Of course, you can find it all on smallscalelife.com, so head over to the article to get more information including notes and links.
Support Us on Patreon!
After this conversation with Glen Tate, I decided that it was time to ACT and get busy. I started building a Patreon site in 2019, but I held back and did not launch. Talking with Glen during this podcast episode PUSHED me to action.
There will be a lot of information posted on our Patreon site, and this will be content not seen on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube or Pinterest. Julie and I are excited to bring more content to you, especially as we create and build Eagle’s Ridge!
Hall of Heroes - Gratitude
“It’s hard to have a bad day when you START your day with gratitude.”
As part of intentionally Practicing Gratitude, I am starting this podcast episode by recognizing some folks who have been active on Small Scale Life.
- Hannah, AJ and Jack from The Wisconsin Homestead It was great connecting with these folks, and Julie and I are really excited to see where their new homestead is. We wish them the best with The Wisconsin Homestead Podcast, and we look forward to collaborating with them in the future. I’ll be in Green Bay in 2021, and I am looking forward to meeting them!
- Maria the Intuitive Energy Healer , Trish, Bert, and Amy Dingmann from A Farmish Kind of Life. These are my good energy people, and I really appreciate them being in my life and the support they have offered to Julie and I.
- Trish and Bert at their Homestead in Bay City, Wisconsin. We have really enjoyed spending time and talking about homesteading, energies and the old ways with them. We will have one or both on the Small Scale Life Podcast to talk all things Leon in the near future. Freaking Leon!
- Julie has been awesome. We have been working hard on designing "stuff and things" for Eagles Ridge Homestead, and it is going to be REALLY great year and a great adventure!
- Most importantly, we want to thank you. Thank you for being part of our Small Scale Life. Let’s learn, do, grow and be a little better everyday together!
Thank all of you for listening to this podcast episode, and if you want a shout out in our next Hall of Heroes, get active and participate on Small Scale Life.
Do You have a Side Hustle or Business?
Some of you have great projects, side hustles or businesses. Perhaps you I could learn from you, and it would be FREE advertising for your project, side hustle or idea.
Share your story by being on the Small Scale Life Podcast!
Send a message to me using the Contact Us page on smallscalelife.com. This is your chance to teach us as we continue to learn, do, grow and be a little better everyday!
Topics – How to Start and Build a Podcast Business
During the course of the discussion about How to Start and Build a Podcast Business with Glen Tate and Mr. Tactical I pulled out 6 key points (and one bonus point) that podcast entrepreneurs (actually any entrepreneur) should consider as they start and build a podcast business:
- It comes back to building a community and a network of cool people. Podcasting does that over time.
- I have said it often: “Put yourself in the right place and be open, and opportunities will present themselves.” Sometimes it is as easy as saying, “Yes! How hard can it be?”
- Don’t be afraid to try, and if you are afraid, talk to someone who is already doing it and is successful.
- It doesn’t take fancy gear or special equipment; you just have to start, be consistent and be persistent.
- Use your network and community for guests and work with other podcasters to be on their show and have them on your show.
- Finally, add value for listeners. Have an abundance mindset.
From my experience, when starting a business, side hustle, homestead or any endeavor, we should always consider the end in mind. Why are we doing this and what does it look like in the future?
Keep those things in mind and write them down. These are like that lighthouse shining in the dark and stormy night. Trust me, there are times when you have those dark and stormy nights during this journey. You wonder if it is worth it, if you should continue. Remember:
Powerful whys and keeping the end in mind will keep you going at those critical moments when others give up.
Find more from Glen Tate and Shelby Gallagher at the following sites (click on the link to go to the sites):
For Small Scale Life Podcasts, I would like to thank Austin Quinn at Vlog Vibes for the intro and outro music. For more information abut Austin and Vlog Vibes, please see the following:
Vlog Vibes YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY80LeqtJf-YBzJy2TWKpDw
Download Austin’s music here: https://soundcloud.com/vlogvibes
Reviews on iTunes
We love reviews! It helps us grow the show. To leave a review of the Small Scale Life Podcast on iTunes, please follow these simple steps:
- Click on this link or the image above.
- Go to ratings and reviews.
- Click on the number stars.
- Subscribe to the podcast (optional, but appreciated)!
- You can also write a quick review or some words of encouragement (optional, but GREATLY appreciated)!
You can also write a longer review, though it’s not necessary. Again, thank you for listening and your review!
Ratings and reviews help us grow the podcast and the blog, and I appreciate your reviews. I will be reading reviews out on future episodes of the Small Scale Life Podcast!