Gluten free, dairy free, and delicious? Yes please! Eating healthier and getting fit have taken top priority here at Small Scale Life in 2018. In our quest for better health, we are exploring many new recipes, focusing on recipes that feature clean, whole foods. Once you really look and realize what ingredients are actually in a lot of the processed food that we eat, it’s no wonder there are so many health issues in our country!
Tom and I were invited to do a two-week Lifetime Fitness Detoxification Program in early December, 2017 with my brother David and sister-in-law, Jenny. We were really surprised by how yummy the recipes were that we tried! It went so well, in fact, that we decided to start the new year off right and do it again. No matter how good our intentions were, the holidays managed to wreak havoc on the plan!
A couple of nights ago we tried a recipe from the D.Tox program for Sweet Potato and Turkey Hash, which we adapted to include a few more veggies and seasonings. SO GOOD! It has a nice little kick, and was really filling. We hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
Prep Time – 15 min | Cook Time – 20 min | Total Time – 35 min
Sauteed Vegetable, Sweet Potato and Turkey Hash
- 2 tsp organic coconut oil
- 12- oz lean ground turkey
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato diced
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and minced
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cups black beans
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 zucchini sliced
- 1 bell pepper sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- In a skillet, melt 1 tsp coconut oil and brown turkey. Set aside.
- In a separate skillet, saute onions in remaining coconut oil until browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add sweet potato and cook, stirring until it browns, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add zucchini and bell pepper, stirring until softened to your preference.
- Stir in garlic, jalapeno and cumin, and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in black beans and turkey, and cook until heated through. Stir in cilantro and season with pepper.
- Serve with lime wedges.