Scott Hebert starting urban farming in 2015 in Chilliwack, British Columbia. A year ago, Scott was working at his dad’s cabinet shop, and when his dad announced that the shop was closing, Scott knew he had to find a new path forward. After losing 60 pounds on his own weight loss journey, had an interest in growing healthy food. At that point, he started his urban farming operation called Flavourful Farms.
Using his previous experience using coaches in Mixed Martial Arts, Scott reached out to an urban farming expert that lived two hours away: Curtis Stone. Paying a consulting fee, Scott visited Curtis and spent the day with him, looking at this urban farming operation and asking questions. Of course, Scott had done his homework beforehand, and he asked a lot of questions and walked away with a lot of answers.
During the podcast, Scott and I discuss his story: how he got into urban farming, his creativity and his artwork. Scott has sold some of his art to customers and used it in his kickstarter campaign. One picture that we discussed was the recent picture he created of a dog (pictured below). He was able to create this for a customer, and Scott got some satisfaction knowing that his creation would always be part of the dog’s owner’s life.
During the podcast, Scott and I discuss his cart made out of spare parts and scraps. He did some more work on it this week, and he posted this video on his Flavourful Farms Instagram site. It is a very creative build! Nice work, Scott.
View this post on Instagram
Tool cart build: Part 2 Everything has a spot and I don't have to unload it to store it. I think I will make a harvesting cart with all my harvesting gear too. A little more work to do on it, I want it to have a lid with tools stored underneath and then I will close it in to protect my tools from the weather.
Scott and I talked about the following links during the podcast:
- Flavourful Farms website – Scott’s main website for his urban farming operation
- Flavourful Farms on Instagram – Great photos, and Scott updates it regularly
- Flavourful Farms on Facebook – Scott’s farming page
- The Sample Hour – Drew Sample and Scott Hebert’s weekly podcast
- Curtis Stone’s “The Urban Farmer” – Book and online course
- Curtis Stone’s Green City Acres – Urban Farm
- Curtis Stone’s YouTube Channel – Great tips and videos
- Permaculture Voices with Diego Footer – Great podcasts about permaculture and profitable urban farming
- Scott Hebert’s interview on Permaculture Voices – Diego Footer and Curtis Stone interview Scott Hebert about urban farming
- Dan Barber Ted Talks – Dan Barber talks about fish raised using a revolutionary farming method in Spain
Use the following link to listen to the podcast. Since we are now on iTunes, please rate and review the Small Scale Life Podcast. Ratings and reviews help us grow the podcast and the blog, and I appreciate your reviews. You can leave a review by following these simple steps:
- Click on this link.
- Go to ratings and reviews.
- Click on 5 stars.
- Subscribe to the podcast!
You can also write a longer review, though it’s not necessary. Again, thank you for listening and your review!