Having trouble figuring out what to do with the jalapenos that you grew in the summer or bought at the store or farmer’s market? Have a crew coming over for a football or sports party? Want to crank your appetizers up a notch but want to make them yourself? While you could make a great jalapeno-cranberry jelly for your party, how about trying a super easy but really good jalapeno popper recipe?
Healthy Jalapeno Popper Recipe
- 8 small jalapeno peppers
- 4 ounces of light cream cheese
- 2 Tablespoon of fat free mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 4 pieces of finely chopped bacon
- 3/4 cup of cornflake crumbs or bread crumbs
- 3 eggs or 3/4 cup of egg substitute
- Olive Oil cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Line cooking pan with tinfoil and coat with cooking spray (helps with clean-up)
- In a medium bowl, mix the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, garlic powder and chopped bacon; mix well
- Wash the jalapenos, cut them in half and remove the seeds.
- CAUTION: Wear gloves and do not rub your eyes!
- Stuff jalapeno halves with the cream cheese mixture
- Crack and beat eggs in a bowl
- Place crumbs/flakes into a separate bowl
- Dip stuffed jalapeno halves into the eggs and then roll in crumbs/flakes to coat the jalapenos
- Transfer coated jalapenos to the baking sheet
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees until filling is bubbling (about 30 minutes)
- Serve while warm; 2 poppers per serving
Jalapeno Popper Recipe Tips
I have been making this recipe for over five years, and it has become a Super Bowl favorite and tradition. Weight Watchers originally published this recipe, and I have modified it over time. The bacon adds so much to these poppers because EVERYTHING goes better with bacon. I usually double the batch because I know my family and their friends really enjoy these babies.
The key, of course, is getting good jalapenos for the recipe and protecting your hands and eyes from the oil in the jalapenos. Please be careful; you wouldn’t want to have burning hands or eyes!
When I make these jalapeno poppers, I usually set up an assembly line to stuff and coat the peppers. It works so much better to stuff ALL of the poppers first and then start coating them with the egg and breadcrumbs. Otherwise, your gloves (or hands) are getting full of stuffing, egg and breadcrumbs. This process can turn into a big mess!
Give It A Try!
This is an easy jalapeno popper recipe. You could take these in a number of different directions, especially if you add different dipping sauces to your table. Give this a try; you won’t be disappointed!