Does anyone else often just crave something warm and savory for breakfast, especially in the fall and winter months? Sometimes my day just doesn’t feel right without my oatmeal. And in my humble opinion, you can add pumpkin to just about anything in the fall and it becomes a delicious treat! This Pumpkin Pie Steel Cut Oatmeal recipe has become a staple in our house.
Credit goes to Tammy at Organize Yourself Skinny for the recipe. This is her exact recipe and has not been adapted or tweaked in any way because it’s perfect just as it is! You will notice that the recipe lists the pure maple syrup as optional… feel free to add to your sweet tooth’s particular desire.
But I have to tell you, what truly makes this recipe special is a trick I learned that has seriously been a game-changer in our house: I learned how to bulk prepare and freeze oatmeal into grab and go portions so I have healthy, yummy breakfast options always at the ready. Now I can just pop them in the microwave at work and enjoy a hot, delicious breakfast every morning at my desk that is ready in a matter of minutes! I finally realized that if I’m going to go through the trouble of making something, I am going to do it in bulk every chance I get so I can simplify my life as much as possible. Check out our Bulk Preparing and Freezing Steel Cut Oatmeal post to learn more. I’m serious you guys… you HAVE to do this if you love your morning oatmeal.
There are just so many ways to make your life easier, and finding these little life hacks make all the difference in the world. Comment below and let me know if you have any other great oatmeal recipes you’d be willing to share and we will be happy to post so our SSL Community can enjoy them too. In the mean time, I hope you enjoy this Pumpkin Pie Steel Cut Oatmeal as much as I do!
Pumpkin Pie Steel Cut Oatmeal
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 3 cups hot water
- 1 cup milk (we used 1%)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1-2 tsp pure maple syrup (optional)
- Melt the coconut oil in a medium size sauce pan. Add steel cut oats and toast until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add in 3 cups of hot water and bring to a boil, then simmer on low for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk the pumpkin puree and milk together in a large bowl until smooth. Stir mixture into steel cut oats. Next add vanilla extract, pumpkin spice and salt and stir.
- Simmer on low for another 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- If you’d like to sweeten it up, add the pure maple syrup (or feel free to substitute honey, brown sugar, stevia, or whatever your sweet tooth desires!)