Winter Tips – S1E20
Winter has arrived in force! We got our first decent snowfall here in Minnesota on Saturday. On top of the snow, we are getting slammed by January-like cold. We will be dealing with -20 degree Fahrenheit temperatures by Saturday here in the Twin Cities. In fact, as I recorded this podcast, it was -1 degree Fahrenheit (and feels like -15 degrees Fahrenheit)! Winter is here, and it is time to talk about some key winter tips for preparing yourself, your equipment and your house for this kind of cold and these kind of conditions.
As an aside, we welcome new listeners to our weekly podcast from our new Stitcher channel! If you are new to the Small Scale Life Podcast, this is a weekly show dedicated to developing a sustainable small scale life through healthy living, gardening, frugal living and having adventures along the way! Our motto is learn, do and grow.
If you would like to listen to the Small Scale Life Podcast on Stitcher, listen using the following link: http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/smallscalelife/small-scale-life
View this post on Instagram
This is NEVER a good sign when you have 6 inches of fresh snow sitting on your driveway. Yeah, that is the recoil for the old snowblower, and yeah, it shouldn't be in my hand and looking like that. Needless to say, I had to hand shovel that driveway and jockey vehicles yesterday. It took a couple hours to get everything shoveled, brushed off, started and moved. I look at it this way: at least I got a workout done! Of course, I did break the snowblower AND a shovel in the process. Welcome to the Small Scale Life!
In this podcast, I discuss the following topics:
- Introduction to the Small Scale Life Podcast and Small Scale Gardening Blog
- Is Small Scale Life a Wellness Program?
- Conditions and Driving in Snow
- Winter Tips for Working in the Cold, Winterizing Your Equipment and Winterizing your House
- Winter Tips for Managing Ice Dams
During the Small Scale Life Podcast, I discuss the following links:
- Small Scale Life Podcast Season 1 Episode 19: Happy Birthday, Small Scale Life!
- About.com – How to Prevent and Remove Ice Dams
- University of Minnesota Extension – Ice Dams
- Sample Hour with Drew Sample
- Small Scale Gardening Facebook Group
- MN-WI Regenerative Agriculture Facebook Group
Rate on iTunes
Since we are now on iTunes, please rate and review the Small Scale Life Podcast. Ratings and reviews help us grow the podcast and the blog, and I appreciate your reviews.
You can leave a review by following these simple steps:
- Click on this link or the image above.
- Go to ratings and reviews.
- Click on the number stars.
- Subscribe to the podcast (optional, but appreciated)!
- You can also write a quick review or some words of encouragement (optional, but GREATLY appreciated)!
You can also write a longer review, though it’s not necessary. Again, thank you for listening and your review!
Use the following link to listen to the podcast or listen using the media player below.