Cowbells and Kettlebells Part 1 – S1E7
My friend Jay is back on the Small Scale Life Podcast! Jay and I recorded a two-part series called “Cowbells and Kettlebells,” and in this episode, we discuss Jay’s vision of buying and owning rural property. Specifically, we discuss the following topics:
- Why purchase rural property?
- What is your vision for this property?
- What are you looking for as you start to look at rural property (i.e., features and characteristics)?
- Will you need to commute to your job? What kind of a commute are you willing to tolerate?
- What are you seeing in your market? Is rural property available? What does it look like?
- What advice/tips do you have for others?
Throughout this episode, we discuss permaculture concepts (i.e., hugelkulture mounds and small scale food forests). I also sprinkle in some of my (and Julie’s) thoughts about our future rural property, and I learned a few new things from Jay during the course of this podcast as well.
My take-away from this podcast is that I will be doing some research about farm credits and agriculture-based credits, grants and loans. That could be very beneficial for our future plans, and I have a feeling some other folks in the MN-WI Regenerative Agriculture Facebook Group would be interested as well!
I would also like to note that the first part of this podcast was recorded from the cab of a fire engine. I don’t think there is another podcast in the world that can make that claim! We did have to re-record part of this podcast since there was activity in the fire station that interrupted the show.
The following sites and links were discussed during this podcast:
- Small Scale Life Season 1, Episode 6 – What is a Sustainable Life?
- Small Scale Gardening Blog
- Ben Falk’s The Resilient Farm and Homestead book
- Jack Spirko Member Support Brigade
- Jack Spirko Episode 1764 – Small Scale Food Forestry
- Homes for Heroes – Hero Rewards®, rebates, and discounts for firefighters, emergency medical professionals, military and veterans, law enforcement, teachers and healthcare workers when buying, selling, or refinancing a home.
- A special thanks to Austin from Beatsby_Roi for providing permission for using the song “Steady Wzdm” from The Lemonwater Chronicles, Volume 1, on the podcast. Austin has a new track called Feels Right that is really great; check it out!
- Also a special thanks to Dillon from The Soapbox Collective Podcast for helping set the music up.
- Click on this link.
- Go to ratings and reviews.
- Click on 5 stars.
You can also write a longer review, though it’s not necessary.