Workout Plan – Weeks of 10/9/16
It has been a month since I posted my last Workout Plan, and I have to say that it is about darn time I got another one posted! September is history, and I am not sure where it went. I can tell you that with the weather turning cool, I have been sleeping really, really well. So well, in fact, that I have not been making the early morning workouts very consistently. I have made some adjustment and have gone to work out in the afternoons, but I still prefer to get it done early in the morning. I just need to focus on getting a routine down to be consistent working out, blogging and podcasting. It is always a work in progress!
View this post on Instagram
Happy Sunday, all! @juliasblooms had a great walk around Lake Calhoun today, and now I am making spicy dill pickles. I am using up anything ripe in the garden, & I picked about 2 gallons of cucumbers. I chop them into slices & put them in saltwater for 3 hours. I then mix up the pickling brine, add the pickles & brine to mason jars & then process them in a water bath. They taste great! Time to get them done!
Way back in September, I talked about focusing on the following items:
- Reducing carbohydrates consumption (reducing bread and chips is a tough one for me)
- Reducing alcohol consumption (alcohol does not help weight loss, so I need to limit this)
- Getting more sleep (at least 7 hours per day – when you are tired you eat more)
- Tracking everything in the Myfitnesspal application (you can’t manage what you aren’t measuring)
I have to say that I have done good on two of the four items: reducing alcohol consumption and getting more sleep. I am going to remove the sleep item for now will replace it with a reducing potato chip consumption. Why? Because I like potato chips A LOT. They are an Achilles heel, so I am going to focus on that (especially as I make homemade salsa with my tomatoes).
In September, I was not successful with reducing carbohydrates and tracking everything in the Myfitnesspal application. I just wasn’t paying super close attention to the carb intake, so I will be refocusing on that. It goes hand-in-hand with focusing on eating potato chips.
Speaking of Myfitnesspal, I was up to about a 65-day streak on the Myfitnesspal application, and then I missed a day. The gods of the Myfitnesspal application were not pleased, and they reset me to zero days. I am now on an nine-day streak. Fail! Ugh! Well, I am starting over again with that as well. Clean slate, right?
On a positive note, I canned a bunch of pickles, froze 2 pounds of green beans, and dehydrated a ton of parsley. That is one good thing about having a garden: you know how good those vegetables and herbs are going to be since you grew them yourself!
I could ramble on and on about how much I didn’t work out in September, but I will spare you the details. I have put that behind me and am moving forward. As of the last week, my time working outside in the field has increased by a day (three days a week). That will only help me stay active and keep my hands out of the cookie jar (so to speak).
At the same time, I have been walking more, and I hit two cycling classes last week. I am going to continue with the cycling classes, and I am going to develop a routine for swimming, walking and lifting weights. As I discussed in Episode 5 of the Healthy Lifestyle Podcast, I was very interested in the protocols set up by former Marine sniper Adam Ticknor. I am going to implement the protocols over the next week and see what happens.
In the meantime, here is how my workout plan looks for the Week of 10/9/16:
|Day||Planned Exercise||Actual Exercise||Time|
|Sunday 10/9/16||Walk||Walk around Lake Calhoun||1 hour, 19 minutes|
|Monday 10/10/16||Walk||Treadmill||45 minutes|
|Wednesday 10/12/16||Lift Weights – Upper Body||Lift Weights – Upper Body||minutes|
|Friday 10/14/16||Lift Weights – Leg Day!||Lift Weights – Leg Day!||minutes|
Looking forward this week, we will be working on the following items:
- Podcast – Drew Sample and I continue to record episodes of the Healthy Lifestyle Podcast. We are going to record Episode 6 this Wednesday, and we will be discussing our progress to date and the Hog-Toberfest event at Nature’s Image Farm in Ohio. This podcast will focus on building small communities/tribes and the importance of rituals. It should be a good show as our good friend Jay Dolan will be showing up on the podcast as well.
- Weight Loss Challenge – We have been going strong on the Kwitchyerbellyakin Weight Loss Challenge. Our next weigh-in is approaching, but I posted the second weigh-in results below. After 4 weeks/1 month, we have lost a total of 59.4 pounds! Check out my post on the Kwitchyerbellyakin Fitness Challenge here on Small Scale Life f0r background information. Not to worry if you are not part of this Challenge; we will have a Fitness Challenge kicking off after the New Year.
Stay tuned to Small Scale Life! We have more good things coming!