In this episode of the Small Scale Life Podcast, we are going to discuss how Michael Bell is Building an Urban Farm from Scratch.
It’s been a while since we had Michael on the show! The last time he was on the show, we discussed the Soup Gardening Concept in Spring 2019. In case you are new to Small Scale Life, the Soup Gardening Concept is growing vegetables and herbs which are ingredients needed in a hearty vegetable soup. Michael Bell and I came up with the concept, and it was a lot of fun growing those vegetables last year! I will be doing a follow-up episode on that topic soon, and you can find the original episode on smallscalelife.com.
The Only Constant is Change….
My how times changed since the Spring of 2019!
Since that episode, Michael Bell changed jobs, sold his old house, moved to a new house, sold his old half acre farm and found new farming properties. These new farming properties have provided new challenges and opportunities, and there are some clear take-aways from this conversation if you are starting your own garden or urban farm. In this episode of the Small Scale Life Podcast, we are going to discuss how Michael Bell is Building an Urban Farm from Scratch.
Remember: it always comes back to the three basic elements to grow plants:
- Nutrients and
If you have the right balance of these three elements, you can grow plants anywhere! When you are out of balance, you need to adjust, adapt and overcome to get back into balance again.
Topics Discussed on Building an Urban Farm from Scratch
During this episode, Michael and I discussed the following topics:
- Earth Day 2020
- Happy Birthday Michael Bell and Amy Dingmann (A Farmish Kind of Life)
- Happy Anniversary for Dallas Half Acre Farms!
Introductions – Who is Michael Bell?
Change is in the Air
Looking For Land
- Power of Networking and Community
- Bed Preparation in Clay
- Nutrient Poor Compost
- Adding Nutrients – Compost Testing with Big Box Store Brands
- Water – Rainwater Solutions
Starting the New Dallas Half Acre Farms
- Found a New Property
- Soil Conditions = Less than Optimal
- Adding Nutrients – Compost from Testing at Lettuce Outpost
- Water – Rainwater Solutions
- Growing Philosophy – Lettuce Outpost vs. Main Farm
- Available Markets – Housing Development, Vegans, Grocery Store
- What is Michael growing for CSA Boxes? Vegetable Fresh List
- Cover Crop Testing and Success
- Expand with Tunnels and Tarps
- Shed Project
- City Water (Future)
Dallas Half Acre Farms
Where can we find more of Michael Bell? The following links take you to his Instagram pages:
Small Scale Life Podcast Episodes
Michael Bell has been a frequent guest on the Small Scale Life Podcast! Here is a list of the podcasts where he has been a subject expert on urban farming, gardening and wellness topics:
Reviews on iTunes
We love reviews! It helps us grow the show. To leave a review of the Small Scale Life Podcast on iTunes, please follow these simple steps:
- Click on this link or the image above.
- Go to ratings and reviews.
- Click on the number stars.
- Subscribe to the podcast (optional, but appreciated)!
- You can also write a quick review or some words of encouragement (optional, but GREATLY appreciated)!
You can also write a longer review, though it’s not necessary. Again, thank you for listening and your review!
Ratings and reviews help us grow the podcast and the blog, and I appreciate your reviews. I will be reading reviews out on future episodes of the Small Scale Life Podcast!
For Small Scale Life Podcasts, I would like to thank Austin Quinn at Vlog Vibes for the intro and outro music. For more information abut Austin and Vlog Vibes, please see the following:
Vlog Vibes YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY80LeqtJf-YBzJy2TWKpDw
Download Austin’s music here: https://soundcloud.com/vlogvibes